Thursday, September 10, 2015

Am I wrong?

I have a personal pet peeve. Let's say you're with a group of people, and you're working together to accomplish something, Yay, Teamwork. Everyone's talking, getting things done. Great, right? Until you open your mouth, and the entire group ignores you. Or one person talks over you, like you're not speaking. Or worse, they let you finish, and act like you never spoke at all by changing the subject to something unrelated.

Yesterday, it happened to me. There were 4-5 of us working on a project at work. And if I spoke, someone either spoke over me, or they just outright ignored me. I'm not perfect, far from it. But I also try really hard to not hurt someone's feelings. No matter if the conversation is really boring, or I've heard it a dozen times, I still listen. And some times, we just need someone to hear us. There are times I feel like I'm screaming and other people cannot hear me over their own hubris.

The worst feeling someone could make you feel, is feeling like your thoughts, your feelings, your words are unimportant. Don't make people feel like they aren't important. We don't know what everyone is struggling with. So be considerate. Granted not everything one says is profound. But by focusing only on yourself, you could miss something enlightening, something life-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment